The name “Willkommen bei den Wacholderköpfen!“ in High German means “welcome to the home of the juniper heads!”: On the one hand, because the village inhabitants enjoy a juniper schnapps from time to time and, on the other hand, because the route leads past three juniper heaths.
The 19 kilometre long trail offers villages and geological features that are well worth seeing. Enjoy the beautiful views and marvel at the diverse fauna: Juniper sometimes appears as trees, sometimes as bushes - a true chamaleon.
Some of the most beautiful juniper heaths in the Wittgensteiner Land are connected by the six-hour hiking trail. The option of splitting the trail up into three offers you a multifaceted hiking experience.
Explore Dotzlar’s exciting history and enjoy the fantastic view of the juniper heaths!
Getting thereBy car, you get to Dotzlar on the A45 Dortmund-Frankfurt motorway and take the Siegen exit, then the B62 and B480 main roads.
The "Laubrother Straße" car park is in the centre of the village of Dotzlar. Coming from the direction of Raumland, you turn left in the village of Dotzlar in the direction of the Kulturhalle. After approx. 400 m, the car park is on the right.
ParkingThere is plenty of parking at the start point.
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentDue to the hilly route, good physical condition is essential. Surefootedness and sturdy footwear are required. You should also take a backpack with food and drinks for the day with you.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.