These stones combine nature and culture experiences and offer you completely new perspectives on outstanding architectural monuments.
Location Girkhausen - View to the protestant church
In Girkhausen, the old church and the mighty church tower, which stands aside dominate the townscape. Originally, when the building of enormous size was built in the first half of the 13th century, the tower and church building were connected. In 1680 the central part of the nave collapsed and was not rebuilt for reasons of cost. The church was built in the transition period from Romanesque to Gothic, but is largely considered Gothic.
In the Middle Ages, Girkhausen was a place of pilgrimage and therefore very prosperous. The letter of indulgence from Pope John XXII in 1325 was particularly attractive to pilgrims and gave Girkhausen's Marienkirche the right to grant a 40-day indulgence. A thaumaturgic miraculous image of Mary as the Mother of God brought prosperity to the village, but the image disappeared during the Reformation. The first church ordinance issued around 1540 put an end to pilgrimages: they were forbidden, which meant that the village lost important income.
One of the oldest bells in the church district is located in the prominent steeple of St. Mary's Church. The inscription on the bell bears the words "Ave Maria" and dates from around 1298.